White Horse Theatre (Europe's largest educational touring theatre, consisting of 32 professional actors performing plays in English to over 500,000 people per year) is looking for a new Managing Director to manage and run the company.
The position is to be filled for the next theatre season. The current artistic director and founder of the company, Peter Griffith, will accompany the new Managing Director until he/she has successfully been integrated into the team, when he will retire.
White Horse Theatre is based in Soest, Germany, so the ability to speak both English and German would be useful. Some experience of running a business with a staff of up to sixty employees would also be desirable. For further information about the company, please visit our website at www.white-horse-theatre.com
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Managing & co-ordinating all departments in the business (administration, technicians, designers, directors, actors etc), having profit & loss responsibility.
- Leading & supervising staff directors ensuring that all productions are clear and simple and suitable for school pupils for whom English is a second language.
- Supervising the work of the Actors Liaison Manager and the Touring Directors , e.g. making judgments when actors complain or misbehave; dealing with fallout if an actor is ill or absent.
- Arbitration in the event that there is conflict between actors and management.
- Together with the Actors Liaison Manager and the Production Manager engaging & inspiring all British employees and supporting them during the time they are working & living in Germany (un-derstanding cultural differences, explaining Brexit to employees, etc).
- Budget planning & controlling.
- Close cooperation with internal administration & support functions e.g. finance, IT, legal.
- Business development to expand the company; representing White Horse Theatre externally.
In cooperation with external/artistic partners:
- Seasonal recruiting, staffing and hiring of artistic personnel (staff directors, touring directors, actors, designers etc.), including arranging and running auditions, castings, and supervising contract management.
- Choosing repertoire from the existing fund of over 50 theatre plays written by Peter Griffith for specific age-groups; adapting classical plays, finding modern plays suitable for 6th-form audience.
Required qualifications & experiences:
- Background preferably in business management, or in education, theatre, or related subject.
- Experience in running a business / a (touring) theatre.
- Leadership skills and experience in leading interdisciplinary teams (including artistic, technical and administrative staff).
- Having an understanding of education and school systems.
- Living abroad, understanding & adapting to different cultures.
- Highly self-motivated with a passion for theatre & language learning.
- Strong talent in organizing & managing complexity.
- Very good communication and fluent language skills in English.
Furthermore, the joy in travelling is a key element of touring theatre. Since the home base of White Horse Theatre is located in Soest (Germany) the willingness to live in or near Soest/ or live there part-time, and the willingness to travel regularly are pre-requisites for this position.
Please send applications including covering letter, C/V and salary expectations by email to HR@whitehorse.de
Closing date: 10th March 2021.
Interviews: will take place in the course of the coming year (dependent on potential disruption caused by Covid and Brexit).