Contemporary Arts Producer
Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park
We are an award-winning gallery, based in a Grade I-listed Georgian mansion amidst 120 acres of Grade II-listed Lancelot 'Capability' Brown parkland in Warwickshire. With six permanent collections (Naples, Northern European Art 1450-1650, British Portraits, Chinese, British Folk Art & The Marx-Lambert Collection) and a schedule of thought-provoking changing exhibitions and events, we are an accredited museum, and a registered charity.
Main Purpose of the Role:
With audiences, creativity and environment at the heart of everything that CVHT achieves, you will have responsibility working with the team to ensure that contemporary arts, in all forms are part of the wider content and programme. You will ensure that Compton Verney is enlivened year-round and the programme offer is vibrant, resonant and engages with the widest range of visitors. This will include commissioning, organising events indoors and outdoors, working with a wide range of audiences through consultation, co-production and involvement as well as producing digital content. You will work with artists, creatives, writers, dancers, poets, musicians, the public and experts. You will need to be agile and be able to adapt to changing circumstances to meet the objectives of the organisation, develop resonant content drawing on historic, current and future topics and themes, historic and working with the most diverse range of audiences, contractors, facilitators and creatives.
To ensure that content, activities, events and programmes are accessible, diverse, relevant and resonant with audiences:
- To work with and support the CEO-Director, Head of Content and Audience Engagement and team, and grounds team to originate, develop and deliver diverse vibrant relevant and resonant content to meet the objectives of CV working to performance targets and meet the needs of diverse audiences.
- To deliver activities and events that enable an intersection between creativity, landscape, environment and ecology – ensuring a content rich programme, including events and activities in the grounds and in the venue.
- To work in partnership with other organisations, with specialists, artists (multiple art form), creatives, experts, to enable development of content making regional, national and global connections.
- To develop new audiences and new activities establishing innovative models for audience engagement through programming, testing new ideas with new audiences, holding events, monetising activity, working with diverse audiences from all backgrounds, supporting and delivering on the Audience Development plan and co-production of content.
- To work holistically across audience engagement, learning, community engagement, grounds team and business development to ensure that every aspect of content considers the business model and audience at all times to meet creative and economic objectives, with audiences as the starting point.
- To work effectively, administer, support fundraising activity, ensure cost control, work with teams, and ensure holistic planning across technical support, retail, F and B, marketing, fundraising, education and all other aspects of CV’s activity, to meet CV’s strategic objectives.
- Work across diverse art forms, the environment, ecology, landscape, archaeology, collections, touring exhibitions and installations and diverse artists to create links to content and interventions, accenting Compton Verney’s unique approach diversifying programme and audiences at all times.
- To support projects and to lead as PM on projects where appropriate, managing projects successfully, matrix working, meeting business objectives, smart administration, performance indicators and in working across teams to deliver.
- Ability to curate digital content related to all aspects of the programme and online content production.
- Ability to oversee install of large-scale events in outdoor settings and deliver events.
- Employing contractors, artists and creatives working to a clear brief and delivering on time and to budget.
- Delivery of the visual identity and interpretation strategy in line with CV’s brand values and overall proposition.
- Support the interpretation strategy for CV producing the appropriate collateral both digitally and physically to engage with audience segments across the most diverse content and audiences.
- Undertaking other duties which may be reasonably requested by the Executive team and which are compatible with the overall scope and authority of the role.
- To promote equal opportunities at all times and support diversity developments, to plan accordingly to encourage the widest level of engagement, from the widest range of audiences, removing barriers to access and ensuring representation in public programmes.
- To support CVHT in diversification of audiences through diversification of content and programme.
- Ensure that data is appropriately used and collected at all times
Health and Safety
- Responsible for your own personal safety, in addition to others who may be affected by the company’s activities. Ensure that all H and S and Safeguarding protocols are in place for all events at all times, undertake risk assessments, method statements and report on any incidents in a timely and effective way to protect audiences and staff.
- Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility and all employees are required to act in such a way that at all times safeguards the health and wellbeing of children and vulnerable adults. Familiarisation with, and adherence to, the Safeguarding Policy and any associated guidance is an essential requirement of all employees as is participation in related mandatory/statutory training.
Financial Controls and Budgets
- Help to co-ordinate expenditure to ensure best value for money, ensure appropriate controls are met, and financial planning is effective and efficient; use a profit and loss model for all activities.
- Help to meet income stream objectives as set out in the Forward Plan; support development of business models for new initiatives.
- Administration of budgets and financial controls in all projects.
- Ensure that the most effective production and delivery that least impacts on the environment is applied in all areas
- The Post holder may be required to undertake other duties which are compatible with the overall scope and authority of the role.
QUALIFICATION & ATTAINMENTS
- A degree in a related subject
- A postgraduate qualification in a related subject or equivalent (desirable)
- At least 3 years experience of developing and delivering high-quality content, events and programmes in a cultural setting
- Knowledge and strong interest in current debates in contemporary society and be able to develop events and activities that are discursive and engaging
- Ability to undertake research on content/programme proposals and ideas – relevant and resonant with audiences and contemporary society
- Experience of project management or project team working
- Experience of managing and motivating staff and volunteers
- Experience of budget planning and management
- Experience of fundraising
- Experience of establishing, developing and maintaining relationships with networks, stakeholders, including artists, fundraisers and key organisations
- Proven experience of arts education and/or interpretation project management
- Effective budget management skills
- Commitment to working with a diverse range of professionals, staff and audiences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including writing interpretation and ability to lecture to a wide range of audiences
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to build effective relationships and manage a team and volunteers effectively
- Ability to work independently, flexibly and under pressure
- Excellent time and workload management skills
- Ability to assess priorities and make decisions
- Ability to think strategically, to plan ahead and to meet deadlines
- An open, personable, interpersonal style
- Highly proactive and collaborative team worker
- Clear and experienced communicator
Application Process: Please send an application form (available from the website) to email@example.com – setting out your suitability for the role
Closing Date: 9th November 2020
Interview Date: 17th November 2020