Salary: circa £40,000
Location: South West
Terms: Full time, permanent
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Technical Manager to make their mark on our newly rebuilt theatre, which is due to re-open this autumn. If you are passionate about delivering top-quality entertainment using your expert knowledge of stage craft, lighting and sound – this is a chance not to be missed. Leading a team of technical, maintenance and casual crew, the Technical Manager will deliver a full and varied programme of performances in Cornwall Playhouse, our new 1300 seat auditorium. This post is key to setting the culture, tone and high standards of all back-stage areas and will be an integral part of the senior management team.
What it’s like to work here
We’re opening a theatre in Truro, Cornwall’s capital city. Full of intriguing spaces and steeped in history, our new building will enchant and inspire 300,000 people a year.
As a team, we’re all in! We’re inclusive and open, kind and welcoming, meeting people as they are and responding to their needs and interests. We’re enthusiastic, committed and constantly encouraging people to feel the power of performance in their lives. Whether watching or taking part, we know what performance can do and we want to help every person in Cornwall feel it too. We’re proud of our audience and how we programme the work they crave at a quality they deserve. We’re restlessly curious about the world around us and the ways we can draw on that to make what we do even better. We’re drawing on modern tools and technology as well as our deep-rooted heritage to make our new home the very best it can be.
What you’ll be doing
- Leading a culture of exceptional technical delivery throughout your team and be a role model for our values – you will create a great place for your team to work.
- Building outstanding relationships with visiting companies, promoters and local hirers - before and during their visit - to ensure the smooth running and budgetary control of all technical aspects of productions.
- The guardian of a state-of-the-art Grade II* listed building.
- You will be the Health & Safety Specialist for the organisation, ideally having a national level health and safety qualification.
Who we’re looking for
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role - in a medium or large-scale theatre/cultural venue.
- Personal achievement in the role(s) of stage technician, stage electrician, and/or sound specialist.
- Leadership skills including coaching, team development, motivation and communication.
- Proven successful experience of managing the maintenance and operation of buildings plant equipment.
- Experience in managing operational risk effectively – excellent knowledge of H&S compliance, fire, security and emergency procedures.
- Experience in planning for and managing (within budgetary and presentation targets), the technical operation of performance and live events.
- Excellent communication, influencing and relationship-building skills.
- A proactive and positive approach to solving problems in a prompt and independent manner.
For more information and to download an application form, please visit hallforcornwall.co.uk.
Deadline for applications: Midnight on Sun 23 May
Interview: Friday 4 June