Job Title: Finance Director
Department: Finance Department
Who reports to you: Financial Controller
Who you report to: Executive Director
Probation Period: 6 months
Holiday entitlement: 25 days + public holidays
The Finance Director leads the finance team in the delivery of a complex range of financial processes and services to internal and external customers, partners, funders and the board of directors.
The aim of your job is:
- To ensure the efficient management of all financial and associated legal functions for Birmingham Repertory Theatre Limited, Birmingham Rep Enterprises Limited, Unique Venues Birmingham Limited and any other associated companies or trusts.
- To work with other members of the senior management team to develop and implement the theatre’s strategic policy and plans, and ensure the efficient and effective operation of the company.
What your main duties cover:
- Developing and delivering policy, strategy and plans in conjunction with the other members of the management team.
- Short, medium and long-term financial planning and preparation, setting and monitoring of the company’s annual income and expenditure budget.
- Ensuring timely delivery of monthly management accounts and reports, cash-flow projections and annual accounts in compliance with relevant legislation.
- Managing the company’s cash position and banking facilities, relations with the company’s bankers and the negotiation of any loans or investments.
- Preparing financial projections for funding applications and providing returns for expenditure claims in appropriate formats.
- Ensuring all statutory returns are submitted in a timely and accurate manner – VAT, HMRC etc
- Further developing and enhancing the company’s accounting systems, procedures and controls.
- Liaising with the company’s auditors, insurance brokers, solicitors and the Charities Commission.
- Setting up and managing efficient systems for internal accounting functions, creditor and debtor control.
- Assisting Executive Director and Producing Team with co-production and touring financial settlements
- Communicating and ensuring compliance with finance regulations across the organisation
- Setting and ensuring compliance with expenses policies and procedures
- Acting as the Company Secretary and undertaking relevant duties including statutory compliance with law.
- Ensuring good relations with funding stakeholders, including the preparation of appropriate funding applications, reports and returns and managing the receipt of funds.
- Assisting the Executive Director in contract negotiations with co-producers, visiting companies and others.
- Establishing the staff structure of the Finance Team; managing and leading staff in committing to change and development.
- Ensuring all necessary training and business information is provided to support staff in the effective execution of their duties.
- Setting the quality threshold for the department and ensuring the team is integrated with the work of the organisation.
- Attending meetings of the Board of Directors and relevant Committees and Sub- Committees.
- Attending management, planning, Library integration and other appropriate meetings..
- Supporting and promoting all company policy, with specific attention to Equality & Diversity, Customer Care, Health & Safety, Data Protection and the company’s Financial Policies & Procedures.
- Supporting the organisation and the management of its staff through the effective use of the performance management system.
- All other duties as reasonably requested by the Executive Director.
Qualifications - Identified by application
Essential: Current professional accountancy qualification.
Desirable: Educated to degree level, management qualification.
Experience - Identified by application and interview
Essential: At least five years senior professional experience in at least two of the key disciplines of the post and previous managerial experience.
Desirable: Professional experience in an arts organisation or similar charity.
Special Knowledge - Identified by application and interview
Essential: Current financial management processes and policies, company law and employment law.
Desirable: Knowledge of Access Dimensions, Focal Point and Payrite software.
Practical Skills - Identified by application and interview
Essential: Strategic thinking, efficient systems, good written and oral communication skills, team leadership and management skills.
Desirable: Crystal report writing,
Disposition & Attitude - Identified by interview
Essential: A positive and flexible approach, good communication and interpersonal skills, customer service focus, positive attitude to culture.
Desirable: An interest and knowledge of the theatre or performing arts.
Deadline for applications: 4th August 2019
Interviews: w/c 12th August 2019