PR and Media Executive
Birmingham Royal Ballet’s mission is to be a world-leading example of a 21st century classical ballet company; proud to have our home in Birmingham, Britain’s youngest city, committed to the UK’s most extensive touring programme and internationally recognised for the quality, creativity and diversity of our classical and contemporary repertoire. We cherish our rich history, but are constantly striving to speak to the times in which we live and to reach new and diverse
We have up to 60 permanent dancers and our own outstanding orchestra, the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, which ensures we have some of the best orchestral music in the UK.
Summary of role
Working within a busy department, the PR & Media Executive will develop and implement campaigns to drive ticket sales, promote our artists, develop awareness of our wide-ranging engagement and fundraising activity as well as elevating the profile of the Company. The role demands a strong mix of practical and interpersonal skills.
Key task & responsibilities
- Work directly with the Chief Commercial Officer and appointed external PR Agency to develop and deliver BRB’s Communications Plan
- With Agency support, develop and implement the PR & Media components of integrated campaigns to help achieve sales income targets, engagement and overall objectives
- Develop and secure opportunities to promote our artists, our brand and outreach activities as well as BRB’s role in the wider dance ecology of Birmingham
- Research, write and manage the distribution of media releases
- Work closely with the wider Brand & Advocacy team to ensure effective planning, information sharing, briefing, creating, review of assets and collateral
- Establish, maintain and develop media relationships with relevant contacts locally, regionally and internationally
- Oversee the PR & Media database
- Monitor media coverage about BRB and all of its associated work streams - ensuring it is collated, shared with appropriate stakeholders and archived in a timely fashion
- Identify newsworthy opportunities from across the Company to pitch to
- print, broadcast and digital outlets
- Organise and coordinate photocalls for productions, events and stunts in Birmingham and on tour
- Organise and coordinate press nights, ticket requests and fulfilment in Birmingham and on tour
- Manage interview requests from media and ensure that members of the Company, guest artists and collaborators are supported and accompanied to interviews and promotional appearances as appropriate
- Develop good relations with all departments to ensure awareness of their events, activity and projects in order to maximise PR opportunities
- Collaborate with the Chief Commercial Officer on key announcements to ensure that all organisational messages are effectively communicated both internally and externally
- Maintain the press section on brb.org.uk
- Contribute to news and features for wider syndication and on brb.org.uk
- Establish and maintain good relationships with our partner venue marketing, digital and communications teams
- Attend planning meetings internally and externally when required
- Ensure all communication is kept in line with BRB’s key messages
- Participate in the provision of a safe working environment, adhering to the Company’s Health and Safety policies at all times
- Strong planning and organisational capabilities with the ability to prioritise workload
- Proficient in using software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Flexible in attitude and ability to adapt to change
- Effective verbal communicator
- The ability to deal confidently, diplomatically and discreetly with all levels of the media, creative teams, stakeholders, performers and audiences
- The ability to remain calm and flexible when working under pressure
- A strong team player
Knowledge & Experience [Essential]
- Minimum 2 - 3 years’ experience as part of a press/communications team
- Knowledge of arts media (including print, broadcast and online)
- Experience implementing tactical and integrated campaigns to achieve high-impact output
- Strong writing and proofing skills
- Experience using press contacts and media monitoring systems
A full Job Description and application form can be found here.
Applications MUST be submitted via the online application form.
CV's submitted without an application form will not be considered.
No agencies please.