Location: South Clerk Street, Edinburgh
Terms: Full time, permanent contract
Edinburgh’s Queen’s Hall is Scotland’s foremost mid-sized concert hall (1,000 capacity) for classical, jazz and blues, pop, rock and traditional music, and hosts the Edinburgh International Festival and the International Jazz and Blues Festival. We have a 3 year strategy to refurbish this exceptional venue and reposition the Hall and brand to ensure its future financial and artistic success.
Edinburgh’s Queen’s Hall is Scotland’s foremost mid-sized concert hall (1,000 capacity) for classical, jazz and blues, pop, rock and traditional music
The Queen’s Hall is an independent charitable company. With the retirement of our CEO, along with a marketing vacancy, we are recruiting a Chief Executive and a Marketing and Promotions Manager. These posts offer exciting opportunities in the UK’s leading festival city.
The Chief Executive will drive a transformation in the company’s operations to increase commercial income and implement our strategy. You will have a track record of success in venue or events management, preferably in performing arts. Commercial experience covering operations control, financial management, and contract negotiations is essential.
For more information, please visit www.thequeenshall.net/about/recruitment
Please send a CV listing your experience and suitability for the post, and providing the names of two referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Information enquiries may be addressed to Nigel Griffiths, Chair of Queen’s Hall Board, email@example.com
Closing date: Wednesday 25 January
Interviews: will take place week commencing 20 February.
To provide strong and effective leadership to the organisation. To work with managers to develop and implement effective business strategy, plans and targets consistent with guidance and parameters agreed with the Board. Responsible for developing and expanding the Hall’s services capability, ensuring long term sustainability, through sound financial control, creativity and the effective delivery of services.
The Queen’s Hall has a three year strategy to refurbish the Queen’s Hall and reposition the QH brand to ensure its future financial sustainability and success. The Queen’s Hall company wishes to become a sustainable arts enterprise: the Chief Executive is required to drive a transformation in the company’s revenue base to become more focused on commercial income, and less dependent on donations and grants.
The Chief Executive will be responsible for developing and implementing this major project and leading the fundraising and other related activities.
- Provide effective leadership in a strong collaborative context, to deliver the agreed vision, strategy, values and specific objectives of the Company.
- Provide a clear strategic direction for the Queen’s Hall Company, informed by staff and knowledge of the customer base, stakeholders, donors and supporters.
- Effectively lead the organisation, particularly in times of change, meeting the financial and competitive challenges which lie ahead.
- Initiate policy discussions and consultation exercises required to make informed decisions.
- Ensure that the Company implements its Strategic Plan and other plans, and that key targets and performance indicators are met on time and within available resources, and reported to the Board timeously and appropriately.
- Prepare and deliver the Annual Business Plan.
- Advise the Board on policy and resource issues arising from the implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Ensure that the Board has at its disposal sufficient resources, guidance and professional advice on matters concerning compliance with its governing instrument, and legal and financial requirements.
- Develop and implement a recognised quality management strategy across all QH business activities
- Make proposals to the Board on the goals, aims and objectives, (short, medium and long term) of the organisation.
- Review, evaluate and report on the overall performance of the organisation, taking action to correct or improve performance where necessary.
- Accountable for the financial performance of the Company, and the management of the resources of the organisation within agreed budgets.
- Develop and implement a recognised risk management strategy across all QH business activities
- Ensure the timely and complete preparation of the annual audited accounts and Annual Report.
- Carry out negotiations on the Company’s behalf, ensuring that the interests of the Company are protected at all times, and that the Company’s exposure to risk is minimised.
- Plan, prioritise and cost services and activities according to the strategic plan.
- Consult with the Board to generate an Annual Budget.
- Lead and direct specific funding initiatives, and oversee the preparation and submission of funding applications.
- Authorise salary, invoice payments and contractual agreements in line with the policies and authorisation procedures.
- Ensure that the audit function is fully supported.
- Identify and exploit new business opportunities that are in line with the commercial aims of the organisation.
- Specifically, provide vision, direction and strategy towards the opening up of new music markets and commercial enterprises
- Promote the aims and objectives of the organisation externally, networking and liaising with other similar and competitor organisations and seeking customer feedback to inform future event policy.
- Lead, direct and deliver complex projects.
- Prepare and lead a strategy on the development of audiences (in terms of both size and diversity) as directed by the Strategic Plan.
- Prepare and develop a coherent vision and strategy for the development of the Company’s activities and enterprises in venues and facilities beyond the Queen’s Hall itself.
- Introduce systems to allow efficient and effective management of relationships with customers, suppliers and users.
- Optimise revenue in accordance with the business plan and agreed margin / cost / volume targets.
- Develop and co-ordinate QH core fundraising initiatives
Promotion and Education Outreach
- Produce, in collaboration with the Operations Manager and Marketing Manager, a Queen’s Hall Promotions Strategy for Board approval.
- Produce, in collaboration with the Marketing Manager, a strategy for the development and promotion of education outreach projects and activities for Board approval.
- Create and enable the delivery of education outreach projects and activities, consistent with the QH Business Plan.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to create and maintain a consistent positive, quality focused work culture.
- Supply all reports required by the Board in the exercise of its legal, financial and other responsibilities, in accordance with current legislation.
- Ensure that sound, effective arrangements are in place for the effective promotion and marketing of the Company’s activities.
- Prepare reports and attend Queen’s Hall Board meetings as required.
- Prepare meeting agendas and draw the Board’s attention to matters that need consideration.
- Ensure that there is prompt provision of the Minutes of Board Meetings.
- Ensure that all records and information systems meet and support the business needs of the company, and that they are maintained and developed.
- Develop existing and building new relationships with relevant external bodies, donor organisations and other venues.
- Liaise with the Chair and Board members to ensure an effective working relationship is developed and maintained.
- Represent the Company at external events and opportunities in a manner which promotes the Company and enhances its reputation.
- Make presentations at events and conferences as required.
- Maintain the principle of confidentiality and equal opportunity in all aspects of the work.
- Build and maintain strong and positive affinity and support relationships with private funders and donors.
- Establish and maintain effective customer and supplier relationships, in particular with Edinburgh City Council, Creative Scotland, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Edinburgh International Festival.
- Anticipate and fulfil client needs in a successful manner where appropriate.
- Fully understand the many facets of the business and structure in order to value different requirements and act with diplomacy to achieve the best possible outcome.
Management and Development of Team
- Manage and develop staff effectively, in order to meet the agreed plans and strategies of the organisation.
- Provide effective leadership, supervision and direction to staff, ensuring staff and Board comply with all laws related to its activities and operations.
- Work collaboratively, and create a staff culture where everyone is valued and equipped to do their job and can deliver agreed QH strategies, plans and projects.
- Ensure all staff adhere to policies and procedures contained within their terms and conditions of employment and employee handbook.
- Ensure that staff performance management appraisals are carried out; that personal development plans are agreed with staff; and that plan objectives are delivered effectively.
- Be accountable for Health and Safety policy ensuring that employees are aware of and follow health and safety procedures within all aspects of their work, promoting a workplace culture that is positive to good health and safety.
- Ensure that staff holidays, time off in lieu, expenses, and other working arrangements are authorised appropriately
For more information and to see the full Employee Specification, please visit: www.thequeenshall.net/about/recruitment